JOD MicroFilm & finding aid

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Jan 10 00:27:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Jimm GoodTracks wrote:
> Is it still available, perhaps as a reprint somewhere?  Is this the best and
> most recent Winn/ Hochank grammar?

This is probably the most complete and readable and the only one in print.
I don't know of any reprint copy, but some libraries have copies, and
xeroxes are available. I've never checked to see if it is also available
from UMI.  That might be interesting to do.  Marten's dissertation is
available, but it in a sort of morphological generative format, and a bit
hard to read.  It's worth looking at, though, because it is very explicit
about morpheme order and so has information on details Lipkind didn't even
think about.  Sussman's dissertation is also around, though *not*
available from UMI. It is supposed to be good, but I haven't worked with
it much and don't have a copy.

Lipkind's orthography is complex and awkward as far as marking length.  He
discusses only phonology and morphology, including enclitic complexes
under the latter category.  His terminology is occasionally somewhat odd
and old-fashioned.  He doesn't discuss the reflexives of second
conjugation (syncopating) verbs, and a glance through Miner's Field
Lexicon suggests that in so doing he missed a rather complex corner of the
morphology.  He has nothing much to say about the syntax or anything above
the word level.  I think some of his morpheme identifications fail because
of this.

JE