dorsey film conversion questions and estimate

Mark-Awakuni Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Sun Jan 11 17:25:24 UTC 2004

Aloha all,
I'm looking a the JOD reels as I am writing this (multi tasking, enit?). The
majority of the ms cards with translations appear to have been typed.

However, I've encountered a few ms cards with translations that have NOT
been typed on adjoining cards.

Also, I've encountered ms cards that appear to have been typed... but there
are differences between the two.

e.g. JOD3:198
ms card
wedajiaditaN (Wdj)

ts card
wedajiatataN (Wdj)
WHERE THE PREVIOUS D HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO A T MARKED WITH AN UNDER-X

Perhaps there is a formula that John or others have noticed that JOD used
when going from ms to ts that includes that d=>t(x) shift.

Bottom line, I'd recommend shooting everything to keep it together. Somebody
might find a use for what we are currently called "duplication".

While my particular reader screen shows 1-1/2 frames that may not be the
case universally. I have to center the upper and lower frames for best focus
(with tri-focals and a kinked neck)

Ideally, a single card per image would allow for maximum flexibility in
sorting, deleting, etc. However, I would not impose that obsessive
compulsive approach on someone other than myself. So the efficient
comporomise that I would recommend is that we adopt a single frame per image
approach.

uthixide

Mark Awakuni-Swetland
University of Nebraska