dorsey film conversion questions and estimate

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 12 14:52:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Mark-Awakuni Swetland wrote:
> e.g. JOD3:198
> ms card
> wedajiaditaN (Wdj)
>
> ts card
> wedajiatataN (Wdj)
> WHERE THE PREVIOUS D HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO A T MARKED WITH AN UNDER-X
>
> Perhaps there is a formula that John or others have noticed that JOD used
> when going from ms to ts that includes that d=>t(x) shift.

I think these may be two forms wedaz^ia=di=thaN and wedaz^ia=tta=thaN,
both 'from elsewhere'. Both =di=thaN and =tta=thaN mean 'from' and occur
in the texts.  These are apparently derived from =di 'at' and =tta 'to'.
(Though with verbs of motion better glosses are '(up) to' and 'toward'.) I
assume there is some sort of hard to gloss difference in the two 'froms',
like, maybe 'from right at' vs. 'from near' or 'from there to here' vs.
'from there toward here', but this fine distinction is not preserved in
the English.

> Bottom line, I'd recommend shooting everything to keep it together. Somebody
> might find a use for what we are currently called "duplication".

I agree with that.