searching CDs in Microfilm to CD conversion.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 13 07:32:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Pat Warren wrote:
> > 2. Would we be able to distinguish characters better than on paper
> copies? (Carolyn)
>
> Probably, because most people's copies probably come from the film, and the
> scans from the film would come at a higher resolution than copies from the
> film.

I don't know about Carolyn's copies, but I know Bob's were made by hand by
the NAA staff.  They actually overlaid the blank areas at the bottom of
slips with the next slip wherever feasible, to reduce the copying charge.
(I'm not quite sure of the logic of this, as the it seems like more work,
and fees are usually dominated by labor costs.)  The NAA is not especially
invested in microfilming (unlike the APS) and I believe Mark's activities
represented at the time the major instance of microfilming of the NAA
holdings.  I believe they can still make no use of the microfilm
themselves and even go so far as to lend it out for the making of copies,
a matter of potential concern.

I may have misunderstood some of my sources on this, and my information
may be out of date.  The folks at the NAA seem, however, to be sadly
underfunded.

JEK