dorsey film conversion questions and estimate

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jan 13 16:15:24 UTC 2004

The estimate may be high, but a word of warning.  The estimates for Dorsey's
Quapaw and Kansa lexical files were both low by a fifth.  Both were at least a
thousand entries higher than the number listed.  My guess is that the estimates
were made by Ray DeMallie back about 1970 when he cataloged the Dorsey
Collection for the Smithsonian.  After initial measurements, it's probably based
on the number of boxes of slips.

Bob