New topic -- stative pronouns with reflexives?

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jan 13 21:45:11 UTC 2004

At LSA I was talking with David Rood and Soeren Wichmann (from Denmark) about
Soeren's active-stative LSA paper.  He made the point, confirmed by David, that
in Dakotan, reflexive verbs take the stative pronominal set as subject prefixes.
I don't know how that fact escaped me all this time, but I find it very strange
indeed, since, in Dhegiha, reflexives of active verbs take the active subject
pronominals exclusively.

So my question is:  In the other Siouan languages are subject pronominals of
active verbs still active when the verb is reflexivized?