Siouan word lists reply

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jan 14 03:14:26 UTC 2004

Hi Louie,

> Rory:
> Yes, send me OP list for carpentry.
> I teach carpentry here and want to use these terms for signs and verbal
> comands.
> By looking at your OP nouns i can begin to set up my own list.
> By doing these task related word lists, one discovers all the terms
missing
> in a language.
> I have also discovered terms that have been mistranslated.
> My hide tanning list is on paper.
> Later,
> Louie

Here's what I've got out of the Dorsey dictionary which I
have classed under "Woodworking".  It's as is-- I seem to
have misplaced whatever notes I got from vetting it with
our speakers.  The parsing and interpretations are mainly
my own, though the leading gloss is generally Dorsey's.
A few words are listed as specifically Omaha or Ponka,
but most don't give any such indication.  I've reversed
the gloss to go from English category to OP word, which
throws in a little confusion, and I've listed the words
by semantic association (as makes sense to me) rather
than alphabetically.

I'd be interested in advice from Dhegihanists and
comparativists on these, and certainly also in comparison
terms from Dakota and other MVS languages.

Please let me know if this is of any use to you.  I agree
with you about the value of terms like these in bringing
out many verbs that are otherwise easily overlooked.
I hope I can get to see your hide tanning paper someday.
Some of the terms in it might help to elucidate some of
the ones I'm still finding obscure in OP.

I have lots of other categories too, including words
about house structure and furniture.  I'm not sure
exactly how far "carpentry" extends for you!

Best,
Rory

OP WOODWORKING TERMS

axe                    maN'zephe
                       metal-sharp(?)
                      "sharp metal"?
      (I'm not sure if the p is aspirated or not,
      and would appreciate advice on this and on
      my tentative "sharp" translation.)

hatchet                maNzephe-z^iN'ga
                       axe-little
                       "little axe"

axe handle             maN'zephe-i'ba
                       axe-projection(?)

base of an axe head    maN'zephe-ppa-hi'de
                       axe-head-bottom
      (I didn't notice it in the dictionary, but
      this word implies that the word for axe-head
      is maN'zephe-ppa.)

"adze"                 z^aN-i'-ga-goN
                       wood-INST-IMPULSE-trim(?)
                       "wood-trimmer"

adze proper            we'?e-z^aNi'gagoN
                       hoe-adze

broad-ax               maN'zephe-z^aNi'gagoN
                       axe-adze

  (The last three seem to imply a sharp-edged head
  at the end of a handle, which is swung to rough-trim
  lumbar.  If the plane of the blade is parallel with
  the plane of the swinging handle, as with an axe,
  then it is an "axe wood-trimmer", or broad-ax.  If
  the plane of the blade is perpendicular to the plane
  of the swinging handle, as with a hoe, then it is a
  "hoe wood-trimmer".  In English, we distinguish axes
  from adzes in this manner, but have no general term
  for a "wood-trimmer".)

shavings               z^aN-ba'-s?u  [Omaha]
                       wood-PUSH-plane(?)
                       "wood shavings"?

plank, boards, lumber  z^aN-bdha'ska
                       wood-flat
                       "flat wood"

saw                    z^aN'-i-ba'-se
                       wood-INST-PUSH-cut
                       "something to cut wood by pushing"

saw, cross-cut saw     we'magi'xe  (wa-i-ma-gixe)  [Omaha]
                       WA-INST-CUT-hiss(?)

cross-cut saw          z^aN'ttaNga-i'-ma'-se
                       log-INST-CUT-cut

hand-saw               z^aN'-i-ma-se
                       wood-INST-CUT-cut

hand-saw               we'bamoN  (wa-i-ba-moN)  [Ponka]
                       WA-INST-PUSH-work(?)
      (In Omaha, this word means "file")

circular saw           u-noN'-sne
 at a sawmill          in-FOOT-split

sawmill                z^aN'-u-noN'-sne-ti
                       wood-in-FOOT-split-house

  (From the last two, it looks like unoN'sne is probably
  a shortened form of z^aN'u-noN'-sne.)

sawdust                z^aN-noN'-tube
                       wood-FOOT-powder

  (Apparently the instrumental prefix noN-, FOOT, governs
  the action of a circular saw in a sawmill, and perhaps
  other mechanical actions occurring low to the ground.)

log chain              z^aN'-i-dhi-snu
                       wood-INST-HAND-slide
                       "wood snaker"

                       z^aN'taNga-i'-dhi-snu
                       log-INST-HAND-slide
                       "log snaker"

iron wedge             maN'zewi'uga'sne (maN'ze-wa-i-u-ga-sne)
                       (iron-WA-INST-in-IMPULSE-split)

rasp                   z^aN-i'-ba-moN
                       wood-INST-PUSH-work

                       moN-i'-dhi-xdha'de
                       ??-INST-HAND-??
      (Does anyone have any idea what moN and xdha'de might
      mean here?)

hammer                 z^aNwe'thiN (z^aN-wa-i'-thiN)  [Ponka]
                       wood-WA-INST-hit
                       "wood striker"

iron hammer            iN'?ewe'thiN (iN'?e-wa-i-thiN)
                       stone-WA-INST-hit
                       "stone striker"

nails                  maN'zewi'ugadoN (man'ze-wa-i'-u-ga-doN)
                       metal-WA-INST-in-IMPULSE-force
                       "metal things used to be pounded in"

screws                 maN'ze-u-dhi'-gdheze
                       metal-in-HAND-striped

                       u-dhi'-gdheze
                       in-HAND-striped

screw-driver           wi'udhi'doN  (wa-i-u-dhi-doN)
                       WA-INST-in-HAND-force
                       "thing used for drawing in"

auger, gimlet,         we'dhibdhiN  (wa-i'-dhi-bdhiN)  [Ponka]
 corkscrew,            WA-INST-HAND-turn(?)
 brace and bit
                       wiu'dhi?u'de  (wa-i-u'-dhi-?u'de)  [Omaha]
                       WA-INST-in-HAND-hole
                       "thing for putting holes in things by hand"