Comanche borrowings?

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Wed Jan 14 18:14:16 UTC 2004

Dear Jimm!

Oh, Lila's dictionary was published - James Armagost was co-author -
and I have a copy back home in Yorkshire.  It's far from perfect but
it's still very useful.  I know she did work on Jiwele too. She (or
James?) spotted a number of laons from other Native languages into
Comanche.

Best

Anthony

>>> goodtracks at GBRonline.com 14/01/2004 17:52:00 >>>
That appears straight from Ponca, as one of the late Elders' Ponca name
was
"Wasabe" (Black Bear).

Some time ago, ten or more years ago, Lila Wistrand-Robinson, work on
Commanche Dictionary.  I had the impression that she may have been
contracted by the tribe.  Nevertheless, I dont recall anyone ever
mentioning
this Dictionary by her, and I failed to ask her about several years ago
when
discussing other matters.
Jimm