New topic -- stative pronouns with reflexives?

Randolph Graczyk Rgraczyk at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 02:52:10 UTC 2004

Crow reflexives look like this:

1s  b-ihchi-waa-lichi' 'I hit myself' etc.
2   d-i'hchi-laa-lichi
3   ihchi-lichi'

1p b-ihchi-waa-lit-u'u
2   d-i'hchi-laa-lit-uu
3   ihchi-lit-u'u

I have always assumed that b and d in the 1st and 2nd person forms were
derived from stative bii and dii, with shortening of the long vowel before the
initial i of the reflexive.  The fact that balee doesn't appear in the 1pl form is
not necessarily conclusive, since balee also does not occur with the
emphatic/contrastive pronouns and with pronominal objects of postpositions, both of
which are based on the stative forms.

1s biile'en 'I myself' etc.
2   diile'en
3   iile'en

1p bi'iluun
2   di'iluun
3   i'iluun

1s  biss 'to me' etc.
2   diss
3   kuss

1p  bi'iluss
2    di'iluss
3    kuss

I have always thought that what was strange about the Lakota reflexives was
that there was only one pronoun rather than two.

Randy