WA- once more.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 15 20:43:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Carolyn Q. wrote:
> John, What you are recalling below at ****** is perhaps that in Osage wa' is
> accented when P3p with a dhe- inflectable initial verb, but not other verbs,
> and wa valence reducer is not accented with the same dhe- verbs.

That's it!

> And as I said in an earlier email, wa P1p and wa P3p are not differentiated
> by length in Osage, as far as I know.

And note that Carolyn has been looking carefully at length in Osage.

But, with a motivated curiosity that I won't go into here, has anyone
noticed anything different about the (L)HL pitch contour with these two
Dhegiha wa's?  This is something it's easy to ignore, especially if one is
thinking in terms of "accent" and/or length.  In my (actually fairly
limited) experience, the cues for accentuation are rather different in
Dhegiha from the cues in English.  If you listen with "English ears," you
can easily be misled.