New topic -- stative pronouns with reflexives?

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Fri Jan 16 18:40:15 UTC 2004

I found it in ... as ...:

Standing Rock   UPPER YANCKTONNAI   28 July - 10 August 1885
Number	Number in
Family		Indian Name.	 English Name.

8	4	Naicijin	 Stands to Defend Himself

Obviously, the "to defend" is implied in the use of the reflexive form here.
BTW, also in German, the intransitive verb _stehen_ (to stand) is
sometimes used reflexive: _sich stehen_.

Alfred

 >The reflexive can often mean 'for oneself'  . So I suppose it would
mean 'stands up for himself' - Bruce<<

 >>Also, that's what I found in Dakota: 'Naicijin' [naN-i'ch´i-z^iN] from
_nazin_ (an intransitive verb!). What do you guess is this proper name's
meaning ;) ?<<<<