Quapaw wa-a- '1pl patient'.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sat Jan 17 15:36:05 UTC 2004

> > be thirsty, dry
> > 1sg   aNda'Nbize
> > 2sg   i'dibize
> > 3sg     i'bize
> > 1pl   we'bizawe   (we'- from *wa + i' + a-)
>
> The -a- is not explicit in the surface form here as it is in Omaha-Ponca,
> but it might well be here historically.

It may be there synchronically too since JOD didn't transcribe length routinely.
For Quapaw there'll probably never be any way to know.  We know from the last
paradigm I gave that the second /a/ is present organically in QU.

> This seems pretty convincing to me.  What happens with P3p wa, if there's
> any data on it?

I'll try to check.  I'll have to go to the slip files for that.  It took me too
long to scrounge up the examples I did find, and I didn't have time the other
day to do 3pl.

> 'tell us'         u-a'wa  gi-dha

Wouldn't this be [wa'wagidha] on the surface?