Non-wa Nominalizations

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jan 20 23:00:44 UTC 2004

Quapaw has confused the two roots, e:he and ie (which as in Omaha is sometimes
written iye, but with the same result since /y/ isn't otherwise a phoneme in
QU).  I think that, although historically these may have been bimorphemic,
synchronically they're roots nowadays.  This is probably true of a lot of i-
prefixed verbs.  I- seems to have a greater amount of abstraction associated
with it than the other "locatives".  It is opaque with lots of verbs throughout
Mississippi Valley Siouan.  Ie is just infixing like mani 'walk'.  Otherwise I
can't explain the failure to insert [d, dh, y] etc. in the Dhegiha dialects.
Maybe there was a glottal stop once upon a time. . .

Bob