Siouan word lists reply

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jan 21 18:45:45 UTC 2004

>> rasp                   z^aN-i'-ba-moN
>>                        wood-INST-PUSH-work
>>
>>                        moN-i'-dhi-xdha'de
>>                        ??-INST-HAND-??
>>       (Does anyone have any idea what moN and xdha'de might
>>       mean here?)
>
> MoN occurs in the 'file' usage above, ...
>
> Oh, I see, the second moN!  Well, one idea is that m is the key below j,
> and j is how Dorsey wrote z^.

Brilliant display of lateral thinking, John!!  That's probably it.
... I dunno, I guess I just assumed that Dorsey never made typos.  :)

> Dorsey has gaxdha'de 'be buried in snow' in the texts, and we'axdhade
> (wa-i-a-...) is 'warclub with iron point', I suppose the kind resembling
> musket stocks?  Maybe a reference to the rattail?

I've run into another case of -xdha'de.  For 'hairpin', he
has two forms:

  noNz^i'ha-we'baxdha'de and wea'baxdha'de

He notes that they are not yet used by the Omaha, and
that Wdj. objects to the present use of the terms, so
this was probably productive at the time.

Maybe -xdhade could mean 'stick (v.)', or sticky?
That's about as close as I can come to a concept that
could unify all these cases.

Rory