ie <- i-yA

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Thu Jan 22 08:34:17 UTC 2004

Please don't beat me, but, until up to this discussion, I always had
'felt' that _ie_ [i-yA] might have something to do with 'mouth' (e.g.
going along the lines of _ipuza_) with the part _-yA_ maybe being the
causative or the verb 'to go'. In my naive interpretation, this didn't
seem too far-fetched and unplausible. Had I to invent a Dakota verb for
'speak' etc., I might do it this way ;-)  But now, alas, I see that all
this was nothing more than linguistic fancy and wishful thinking :(

Alfred