Syntax of Speaking

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 22 15:03:33 UTC 2004

Rory asked about how 'speak' might be used without some sort of argument.
The answer seems to be that mainly it means 'say something unspecified or
understood out loud'.

90:102.4
i'a=ga
speak IMP
Go on!

90:148/14-15
kki s^iNgaz^iNga akki'wa i'e      wakkaNdagi=hnaN=bi=ama
and children     both    to speak they were forward only they say
"And both children were quite precocious about learning to talk."

90:151.3
ihaN'      e'dhaNba i'e      naN?aN'=bi=ama, nu'=akha
his mother too      speaking he heard        the man
"The man heard his mother speaking, too."

90:195.20
i'dhae=hnaN=i
you were speaking
"You were saying something."

To which the response is:

90:196.40
aNdhaNdha=b=az^i
we did not speak
"We didn't say a word."

Those are a few of the numerous 'speak up', 'say something out loud' sorts
of examples.

In addition, I have found some examples that come close to complementation
in spite of my earlier and premature claim that there were none.

90:196.15-16
i'dhae=hnaN=i.     eda'daN ed=e's^=egaN       i'a=i=ga
you were speaking  what    you having said it say it
"You said something.  Tell me what you said."

Here, an egaN clause acts as a sort of quasi-argument.

90:483.2-3
kki ni'kkas^iNga=(a)ma dhe'=ama umaN'haN=ama eda'daN i'e=khe=aN=s^te
and the people         these    the Omahas   what    they speak soever
s^aN' wabdhittaN maNbdhiN
yet   I work     I walk

"And these people, the Omahas, whatsoever they say I go on working for
them." (or, "no matter what people say I go on working for the Omahas"?)

This seems to show eda'daN i'e 'say something'.

90:684.1
i'e   j^uba=xc^i idha'e wi'bdhahaN    s^u=dhe'=dhadhe=tta=miNkhe
words just a few I say  I pray to you I will send to you
"I will briefly petition you."

Here we have a sort of cognate object (?) i'e i'e 'words to speak'.

90:748.10
ni'kkas^iNga ukke'dhiN bdhu'ga ua'wagikki      i'a=i
indians                all     to side with us he speaks
"He tells all the Indians to side with us."

This seems to involve CLAUSE i'e in a straightforward way, though as such
it is quite unusual.

Finally, I found this one example, or almost, of 'to speak Omaha', if not
of 'to say X in Omaha'.

90:443.15
umaN'haN i'e=the thappi=b=az^i           dhaN'z^a
Omaha    speech  they did not speak well though,
s^aN' ua'wagidha=i=the
yet   they told it to us

John E. Koontz
http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz