Complementation of i'e

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 23 06:34:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jimm GoodTracks wrote:
> For what it is worth, in IOM one can say Baxoje/ Jiwere ich^e'.

The CSD 'speak' set:

Cr ili'i 'talk'
Hi ire'? 'speak, talk'
Ma kiraN?r 'tell'
Da iya'
OP i'e
Ks i'e
Os i'e
Qu i'e
Wi hit?e
IO ic?e' ~ it?a (ablaut controls affrication here)

Bi *(k)i'e 'say that (to him)'; *ade' 'to talk, speech, language'
Of ile' 'speak'

To tell the truth, I'm not positive the Mandan form or the second Biloxi
one fit the set.  The Mandan form in particular looks like the stem -dhaN
(< *raN) that gets dragged into the conjugation of *e...he 'to speak' in
Dhegiha, to supply the suppletive root of the inclusive form aNdhaN'=i.
The IO and Winnebago forms, which Jimm's example called to mind, the
editors suggest may involve a combination of epenthetic r and ? (glottal
stop).  When unglossed the forms take the standard sort of glosses we have
been dealing with.  As we've seen, all of these forms are inflected,
mostly as actives, but the Hidatsa is an inalienable possessive.

JEK