Complementation of i'e

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri Jan 23 22:27:34 UTC 2004

> P.S.  I also asked about patient wa- in "us" and "them"
>       forms.  I was assured that there was no difference
>       in pronunciation, and indeed both versions seemed
>       to my dubious hearing abilities to be short.

It would be interesting if the second /a/ associated with this morpheme were
lost unless an intervening morpheme were present, but somehow it doesn't seem
logical.  Is the individual you're working with one of those who maintains the
minimal pairs for V length otherwise?  I can't wait until I encounter some of
these things in the Kansa recordings I'm retranscribing in my "spare" time.