example uses of digitized material - brave against the enemy

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 26 17:22:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Pat Warren wrote:
> > Very nice!  And nice looking, too.  I take it that the text format
> > material is the OCR version?
>
> Yes, it's a slightly proofed version of the ocr results.

It might be worth somehow pointing out in the modes what the difference is
between image and text, in terms of implications.  The words carry the
meaning, of course, but there's a certain "imagish" quality to the text as
it appears, perhaps due to the font properties, and it might help to be
explicit.

I'm impressed that the OCR software can handle more than the ASCII
character set.  In fact, given your choice of fonts, I assume it might be
able to handle essentially arbitrary characters?  The Microsoft extended
set is extensive, but missing some critical combinations for Siouanists.

I also wonder about the potential of the font for use with Siouan
languages generally, at least in terms of modern "scholarly usage" and
perhaps for older symbol sets.  Clearly the disadvantage of specialized
solutions like the Standard Siouan set I've prepared with the SIL software
is that it doesn't use Unicode encoding.