Locative *-ki (RE: Word for 'prairie'?)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 29 05:56:59 UTC 2004

> I checked LaFlesche and found t.oN'-dse /htoN'ce/ 'the earth or ground;
> prairie without trees' and t.oN'-dse-gi /htoN'ceki/ 'of or pertaining to
> the prairie'.

The latter occurs as a modifier in t.oN-dse gi'wa-zhiN-ga 'birds of the
prairie lands', presumably htaN'ce=ki waz^iN'ka.  This seems to involve a
postposition =ki that might match IO =gi 'in' (c^hi'naN=gi 'in the city')
or Winnebago =(e)gi 'in'.  There's nothing like this that I'm aware of in
OP, unless maybe -gi in wakkaNdagi 'water monster; wonderful'.

JEK