Word for 'prairie'

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Jan 30 01:35:13 UTC 2004

Bob's comments about prairie and plains makes me think of something I saw
recently in a French trader's itinerary, where he calls the the wet
prairie of the Kankakee a "plaine" (actually spelled "plenne") and then in
parentheses, to explain what he means, he says "pays bas," which means
"lowland". From this account it appears that in the West, Frenchmen were
using "plains" to mean something slightly different from what is typically
taken as the meaning of the word. It should be noted (or not :-) that the
Kankakee area, except for a long the edge of the river itself, was almost
treeless (there were exceptions--timbered moraines here and there and the
occasional windblown "mound" of sand covered in oaks).

Michael