Word for 'prairie'?

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 30 15:10:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> I'm almost sure that Dorsey uses idhaN'dhe for this. No examples off the
> top of my head, though.

I'm misremembering.  You're right, idhaN'=...dhe:

JOD 1890:36.6 kku'saNde=xti idhaN'=dha=i 'he put it (an arrow) right
through (himself)'

The inaN=...dhe occurs in LaFlesche:  77a i-noN-the 'to put upon the
ground' (also 'dispersed the clouds'!), but then 80a i-thoN-the 'to put
something away that is round'.  Even Kaw has iyaN=...ye.

> > khe  ihe=...dhe
> > (The i here is probably not a locative, however.)
>
> I'm surprised.  It certainly "feels" like one to me.
> Is there evidence from other languages against the
> i- dative interpretation?

I'll try to take this up later!