Word for 'prairie'?

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Jan 31 18:35:37 UTC 2004

John wrote:
> The more general sense of 'be round-shaped and located' isn't attested
for
> udhaN, but various derivates are:
>
> udhaN' 'to hold, to take hold'
> ugdhaN' 'to put in; in between'

Yes, and in fact that's where our speaker took it
when I asked her about udhaNda.  She recognized
this as a word, but had a little trouble at first
remembering the meaning.  Then she came up with
the meaning of 'hold on tightly, for dear life'.
The next day, Mark and I pursued this a little
further with her, and we got:

  udhaN' 'to hold'
  udhaN'aNda 'to hold on tightly, for dear life'
  udhaN'dhaNda 'to keep holding on for dear life'
    (A1 - ubdhaN'dhaNda)
  udhaN'dhaN ga! 'Keep holding on!'

I didn't mention this yesterday because I thought
it was a different word/interpretation from the
'island' meaning.  Now I wonder though: could an
island be something 'held' by surrounding water?
If we can have a land-locked lake in English, how
about a (water)-held land in Dhegiha?

Rory