Historical questions

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 1 20:16:36 UTC 2004

Funny, Michael and I just had a discussion about this last month. Ives
Goddard showed a while ago that the reconstruction of Illinois /mihsooli/,
Kickapoo /me0ooni/ 'boat', Menominee /mEhno:s/ 'raft' and Cree /mihtot/
'raft' has to be Proto-Algonquian */meh0we0-/ ('0' = theta), where the
*/meh0-/ does indeed mean 'wood'. The Cree & Menominee cognates show that a
*/?0/ reconstruction is impossible. Miami /meehtikoo$ia/ 'Frenchman' is from
an unrelated etymon, PA */me?tekwi/ 'tree'.

Dave