Missouri

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jan 2 05:08:36 UTC 2004

>> So the name Missouri comes from Illinois
>> mihso:ri, which means 'big canoe'.
>
> You're welcome, but check David's message again: he says the word comes
> from 'wood', not 'big'. My thanks to David for setting me straight
> there--and to the patient Siouanists during this Algonquian digression.

Oops!  You're right!
So mihso:ri = 'wooden canoe', or 'dugout'.

>> Is there any independent reason to believe that the
>> Missouria were once noted for their outstandingly
>> big canoes?  If not, this label seems a little odd.
>
> And recasting the question: as the Illinois had the word and thing
> 'canoe', why would they distinguish the Missourias as 'those who have
> canoes'?

Indeed.

> According to Carl Masthay's edition of an Illinois-French dictionary of
> early 18c., the basic sense of the word miss8ri was 'dugout canoe'; a
> bark canoe was called 8ic8es mis8ri. So neither does it appear that the
> Missourias were distinguished for having dugouts rather than bark canoes.

Is mis8ri = miss8ri ?

And does 8ic8es mean 'bark'?

If so, then wouldn't that mean that mihso:ri has
become the basic word for 'boat' or 'canoe' in
Illinois, with presumption of 'dugout' if it's
unqualified?

But if the mihs- part of that is from PA 'wood',
then the -o:ri part should be 'boat'.  Is that
ever used independently in Illinois?

Rory