Siouan word lists

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jan 9 20:22:41 UTC 2004

Hi Louie,

I've been collecting acculturation terms for
Euro-American technology in OP, mostly from the
Dorsey dictionary and Fletcher and La Flesche.
A restriction is that they must be a noun, so
I don't have verb phrases to go with these.
Of course, some of these can be deduced because
the nouns themselves are built out of the verb
phrases.

I wouldn't have anything on hide-tanning,
because I assume that technology is basically
native.  But I do have a few carpentry terms
if you're interested.  And yes, I have been
segregating these terms into techno-categories
in the way you describe.

I'd like to expand on this in the future, and
would be particularly interested in comparing
between MVS languages.  So I'm very interested
in hearing about what you are doing!

Rory

                      "Louis Garcia"
                      <Louis_Garcia at little        To:       <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
                      hoop.cc>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Re: Siouan word lists
                      owner-siouan at lists.c
                      olorado.edu

                      01/09/2004 01:20 PM
                      Please respond to
                      siouan

Hi gang:
I have been wanting to ask this for a long time.
How many have made word lists for a particular area?
What I mean is to take a subject area and list all the terms associated.
Examples: Various trades like carpentry (tools, woods used, hardware,
commands [cut it, hit it, drive it in, cut it, lift, shove, plumb, level,
square it etc).
I have collected terms for hide work (tanning).
Later,
Louie