Comanche borrowings?

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 15 00:45:30 UTC 2004

For what it's worth, wa + sapA is the basis of terms for blackbear in some
Dakotan dialects, too, e.g., the CSD lists wasaben, as far as I can recall
for Assiniboine or Stoney.  This would correspond to Teton wasape=la.
I've always assumed this borrowing had to be motivated by some sort of
taboo avoidence process leading to borrowing of replacement terms for
native terms.