Non-wa Nominalizations

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Wed Jan 21 04:50:10 UTC 2004

Quoting Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu>:

> This is a terminological confusion.  Although the i-locative is normally
> instrument-governing (especially in Dhegiha), I think I'm correct that
> traditional usage is to refer to all i, like a and o (or u), as locatives.
> Only the instrument-encoding prefixes are referred to as instrumentals
> (ga, naN, dha, dhi, ba, bi, ma, mu, na in Omaha-Ponca).  I've never run
> into a Dhegihanist who was perfectly happy with this.

I agree that the terminology is confusing, and the semantics of the individual
prefixes make it more confusing.  I see the difference between locatives and
instrumentals as distributional - the locatives can co-occur with each other,
but the instrumentals are limited to one per stem, and the locatives can occur
with the instrumentals.

Linda