Siouan word lists reply

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 21 19:46:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> Brilliant display of lateral thinking, John!!  That's probably it.
> ... I dunno, I guess I just assumed that Dorsey never made typos.  :)

I wonder if the BAE's typewriters had the modern keyboard?

There actually are a few in the texts, though I forget where.  Things like
gc (gs^) for g-<cent sign> (gdh).  I guess we have to consider that this
might really be some unknown moN, though.

> > Dorsey has gaxdha'de 'be buried in snow' in the texts, and we'axdhade
> > (wa-i-a-...) is 'warclub with iron point', I suppose the kind resembling
> > musket stocks?  Maybe a reference to the rattail?
>
> I've run into another case of -xdha'de.  For 'hairpin', he
> has two forms:
>
>   noNz^i'ha-we'baxdha'de and wea'baxdha'de
> Maybe -xdhade could mean 'stick (v.)', or sticky?
> That's about as close as I can come to a concept that
> could unify all these cases.

I wonder if the sense of -xdhade might be 'plunge into' or 'protrude
from'?  The ga- instrumental is used with actions by wind or current, and
perhaps falling or deep snow might be in the same category.  There are
cases of instrumental roots that cover a range of somewhat connected
meanings, too.  (No specific examples in mind.)