Pitch Accent

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Jan 27 15:40:01 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> > Actually Deloria says Dakotan speakers listen primarily for pitch.  I
> > ran across her statement in B&D 1941.

> Aha!

I *may* have cited this by page number in the paper in the WORD volume.  It was
in the draft I read in Melbourne.  Checking it now, the wording isn't quite as I
had remembered, but here it is.  I think it makes a pretty good case for pitch
accent.  From the version of the Word paper I read in Melbourne:

Languages of the Mississippi Valley Siouan subgroup have most often been
described as having "stress", with the implication that accent in Dakotan and
Dhegihan is amplitude-based.  Boas and Deloria (1941:21) state that "Stress
accent plays an important role in Dakota."  However they go on to point out that
"Syllables bearing the main accent have a high pitch.  In rapid speech
discrimination between accented and unaccented syllables or those having a
secondary accent may be recognized more readily by pitch than by stress.  Miss
Deloria decides in all doubtful cases the question whether the syllables are
accented or not, by pitch."