Word for 'prairie'?

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Jan 28 19:41:04 UTC 2004

> True, but I think all of the Dhegiha groups were aware of an
environmental contrast between bottomlands and their adjacent bluffs and
then the flatter lands to the west.

I think so too.  That's basically why I don't like /tteghe'/ as a
translation.  There was a Kaw village /ccegho:'liN/ 'they live in the
flood plain' that specifically signals that it was in those lowlands.

> I think OP uses ttaNde' in that sense.  I believe this must be a
somewhat irregular correspondence for Dakota thiNta as in Teton.

I did mention the thiNta/thiNtowaN 'Teton' use but missed the related
(?) Omaha term.  I did search the Dorsey 1890 texts but found no
reference to prairie except in things like prairie chicken/hen.  Same
for plains.

Thanks for the suggestions.

But