kahomni

"Alfred W. Tu"ting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Jul 12 18:34:28 UTC 2004

@David: I think the ka- in kahomni is one of these more general uses
'made to
circle, caused to circle'.  That would accord with the speakers' instincts
that it indicates the source of (or maybe the stimulus for) the action.
I'm not familiar with "kahomni", however -- does that explanation make
sense?

May I add that these 'more general uses' (in a causative sense) is not
so uncommon also in other - very different - languages like German or
Chinese (Putonghua):

ein Rad _schlagen_ (of a peacock)
ein Buch _aufschlagen_ (to open a book)
ein Lager _aufschlagen_ (to camp/pitch one's camp)

kai1 開 - intr. 'to open' e.g. kai1 hua2 開花 (to blossom/bloom etc.)
but: _da3_ kai1 打開 - trans. to open (a book) Lit.: 'to hit open' cf.
'aufschlagen'

Alfred