Cranberries (Re: ho 'circle')

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jul 13 21:37:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> Well, even the /-caNk/ < *htaNka 'big, great' of /ho:caNk/ is otherwise pretty
> much missing from WI.  I think /ho/ 'circle' is a very reasonable explanation.

While we're reetymologizing the Hochanks, I seem to remember that you
yourself discovered Winnebago hoochake 'cranberry' (details of form may
not be correctly remembered).  Of course, that lacks the nasal, and the
presence of final -e suggests *ho(o) thah-ka for that form instead of
*ho(o) htaN-ka.

I hadn't worried too much about the "extra" -k in Hooc^aNk, because there
are some cases of c^aN < *htaN - right? - even if xaN... forms seem to be
the rule for 'big' in Winnebago-Chiwere.  But I guess technically, the -k
might be otherwise unprecedented in (modern) HochaNk.