Siouan place name (Elkhorn)

Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Tue Jun 15 18:28:57 UTC 2004

John wrote:
>Actually the town in question is called Norfolk, NE, which is pronounced
>Norfork, I gather, but this is just English phonology and hasn't anything
>to do with forks.

It's entirely irrelevant to the Siouan discussion, but I can't resist
mentioning that many locals have told me the original name of the town was
"North Fork" (i.e. of the Elkhorn river) and that it was misspelled by the
post office or a government map maker.  This may well be apocryphal, but
it's almost universally believed around here...

Catherine