calumet de paix

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Mar 2 18:54:23 UTC 2004

This is interesting.  I wonder if these verbs are related to the
Kansa/Osage verb /ibache/ /ipache/ (both langs. Have aspirated /c/
here)?  It is the name of the clan that 'lights the sacred pipe'.  The
sound correspondences don't quite match.  The final vowels are different
and the Dhegiha stop is definitely aspirated, but the semantics are
quite similar -- just a different instrumental prefix.

Bob