calumet de (la) paix

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 2 19:01:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, "Alfred W. Tüting" wrote:
> e'yutaN - to go near and touch
> iyutaN - to go near and touch
> yutxaN' - to touch, to feel
>
> Apparably, the i-affixes are instrumental, _-ya-_ and _-yu-_ stand for
> mouth/tooth and hand action respectively. But what's about with the
> different pronunciations of _txaN_/_taN_??

If you used Buechel, it might be inconsistency in marking.  What I wonder
about is i- vs. e-.  In OP e- in forms like this would be either a dative
form with a- (e- < a-(g)i-) or a demonstrative.  There is a -ttaN 'touch'
root in OP (usually written as if -thaN by Dorsey).

> How's the 'go near' part of _e'yutan/iyutan_ expressed??

Perhaps this is implicit in being able to touch with the hand?

JEK