calumet de paix

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Mar 2 20:45:16 UTC 2004

> Maybe, on reflection that OP root is -the (not thaN).

The group is discussing a couple of different roots here.  There IS a
root /ttaN/ 'touch' in Kaw, yuttaN 'to touch'.  I don't know if yattaN
'drink' is related or not.  But there is also a root */the/.  And it
gives i-ba-che 'light the sacred pipe'.

> Note that he [Dorsey] writes stop + closing apostrophe for ejectives,
but fricative plus opening apostrophe for glottalized fricatives.  Stop
plus opening apostrophe is something else, and I would assume it was
aspiration.

Unhappily, it varies.  Sometimes a stop with the opening apostrophe
(spiritus 'asper) is /CC/ i.e. */hC/ but sometimes it is */Ch/.  In one
or two cases he writes both the apostrophe AND an /h/, as in /op'han/
'cow elk'.  Go figure.