calumet de paix

Alan Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:24:45 UTC 2004

Koontz John E wrote:

> Te blota'-
> (Not attested in Santee that I can see.)

How about Riggs' mde-tang'-hung-ka (perhaps, as Bob suggested, for
mdo-tang'-hung-ka), which he cites alongside Te blo-tang'-hung-ka ?

> OP nudaN', Ks dodaN', Os totaN', Qu totaN'
>
> IO dothaN', Wi doochaN'

The IO, Ks, Os and Qu all forms look like pretty good matches for Capt.
Clark's Torto-hongar (Partezon) from 1804.

The other two Teton chiefs recognized in the same ceremony were:

Un-ton gar-Sar bar, Black Buffalow

Tar-ton-gar-wa-ker, Buffalow medison

The latter seems good Teton (dropping the r's), but what about the
former? What is "Un-ton gar"? Why would one Teton chief be given an IO
or Ks name and the other two(?) Te names?

OP would seem a more logical non-Teton source geographically and given
the presence in the party of Omaha-speaker Pierre Cruzatte, but the OP
n- doesn't fit for Torto-hongar.

Thanks,

Alan