calumet de paix

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:46:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Alan Hartley wrote:
> Koontz John E wrote:
> > Te blota'-
> > (Not attested in Santee that I can see.)
>
> How about Riggs' mde-tang'-hung-ka (perhaps, as Bob suggested, for
> mdo-tang'-hung-ka), which he cites alongside Te blo-tang'-hung-ka ?

I missed the form in Riggs and in Rankin's suggestion - which I take it
was a recent post?  [I hope I didn't overlook this in the CSD!] The -tang-
provides a final nasal and allows us to suppose *protaN', a better match
for the *RotaN < *protaN forms in Dhegiha.

> > OP nudaN', Ks dodaN', Os totaN', Qu totaN'
> >
> > IO dothaN', Wi doochaN'
>
> The IO, Ks, Os and Qu all forms look like pretty good matches for Capt.
> Clark's Torto-hongar (Partezon) from 1804.
>
> The other two Teton chiefs recognized in the same ceremony were:
>
> Un-ton gar-Sar bar, Black Buffalow
>
> Tar-ton-gar-wa-ker, Buffalow medison
>
> The latter seems good Teton (dropping the r's), but what about the
> former? What is "Un-ton gar"?

I don't know.  The second part looks like thaNka 'big', of course.

> Why would one Teton chief be given an IO or Ks name and the other two(?)
> Te names?
>
> OP would seem a more logical non-Teton source geographically and given
> the presence in the party of Omaha-speaker Pierre Cruzatte, but the OP
> n- doesn't fit for Torto-hongar.

It does look more like, say, Osage or IO.  Could it be (m)torto-hangar?

I'm thinking this is the second case recently encountered where L&C
provide a form logically attributed to the translator as if it was the one
provided by the original speaker ... but I can't remember what the first
case was.