More on font(s) for Siouan

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Mar 5 19:09:23 UTC 2004

Some time ago, in a message to the Siouan list, Constantine Xmelnickii
recommended a new Unicode font available from the University of
Frankfurt.  Since I now have an XP machine that automatically supports
Unicode, I finally got around to downloading the font.  It does indeed
contain every symbol I could conceivably use in Siouan linguistics, or
any other language for that matter.  It also includes a large variety of
foreign alphabets, among them Cyrillic (all variants), Greek (all
variants), Georgian, Arabic, Japanese, Ethiopic, Armenian and others,
plus the entire IPA.  It is so inclusive that you might have trouble
locating a particular symbol in all the variety.  It's certainly worth
downloading (it's free), and at some point we may be able to shift to
using it on the Siouan list (although for the moment, I don't know if
things like Unix mailers, etc. are compatible).  The URL for the font
is:    http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/indexe.htm .  Look along the right
hand side of the display for "fonts" and click.  It will give you
instructions for downloading for either PC or MAC.

Thanks Constantine!

Bob

Robert L. Rankin, Ph.D.
Professor of Linguistics