Virus Mail Warning

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 10 00:56:37 UTC 2004

If any of you received from this list a March 2nd message with the heading
"Details"  supposedly from Henning Garvin, please delete it without
opening the attachment, nominally a *.pif file.  This appears to be one of
the present round of viruses or worms.  My thanks to Henning for the
warning.  I either did not receive it myself - perhaps due to Unversity
mail filtering - or deleted it automatically without noticing it was on
the list.  My regrets to any of you who may have been affected by this.
This message is definitely in the archives and I am having it removed.

Anything posted to the list by a legitimate member of the list is accepted
for posting, though filtering at the right points may eliminate worm posts
before the reach the list server or individual users.  It is conceivable
that the post was not from Henning but from some other list member.  I'm
not sure how thorough the validation of originating addresses of incoming
mail is by the list server.  This post would have to have passed through
both the University of Colorado's list server and the LinguistList
archive's incoming mail server, but it looks like it didn't pass through
the Unversity of Colorado's incoming mail server.

I think the less general discussion of this gets into the archives the
better.  If you have any comments please send them to me off list.

John E. Koontz
http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz