Terms for "white man"?

Henning Garvin hhgarvin at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 04:21:11 UTC 2004

Hocank generally refers to whiteman as :

/maaNhi-xete/

or "big knife", literally.  There is another term that is commonly used:

/wareiNnk/

I've been told that this use to refer specifically to Germans, and was in
reference to them always working their farms, and that it translates as
"little worker", but I am not so certain about that one.  There are a number
of other terms for different European nationalities, but I don't have that
material with me right now.

Henning Garvin
Linguistic research
Ho-Chunk Nation Language Division