Terms for "white man"?

Justin McBride jmcbride at kayserv.net
Wed Mar 10 14:25:23 UTC 2004

> What other ones do we have?  I'd be especially interested in
> Iowa, Oto, Hochunk and Kaw.

The Kaw form is is^táxe (with long a perhaps, Dr. Rankin?), pretty close to
the Osage form.  It seems to have special meaning with regard to the French,
and it also refers to eyebrows.  In some combining forms, the x becomes
voiced, as in is^tághe masíNha, 'half French,' and is^tághe sákkoj^e ittábe,
'whiteman's watermelon.'

>>From what I gather is common among certain MVS languages, there is a Kaw
cognate of "Long Knife," máNhiN ttáNga, referring specifically to Americans.
It's said to be a reference to a cavalry sabre.

-jm