was^i'c^uN

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Thu Mar 11 19:17:41 UTC 2004

 >I agree that the idea that white people, although obviously not
spirits, may with their pale appearance have resembled them is probably
the origin.  Note that the Chinese (or was it the Japanese) used to
refer to us as 'foreign devils' or so one reads.  Also in Persia we were
called cheshm zagh meaning 'blue/grey eyed' which alluded to the Jinn
(Genies), who were also blue-grey eyed. Bruce<<

In Chinese, there are still these derogatory (however historical) terms
for foreigners (western people):

gui3zi5 (devil)
fan1gui3 (foreign devil)
yang2gui3(zi5) (foreign/oversea devil)
hong2mao2 (lit. 'redhair')

In reference to the colour of eyes, there is:

bi4yan3hu2 (green-eyed foreigner) with _hu2_ also meaning
'recklessly/irrelevantly', 'foreign' (hu2shuo1 - hu-speech -> nonsense),
also a proper name, referring to the Hu(ren) - non-Han peoples in the
northwest of China.

As for _wasicun_, cf. the Meso- and South American Native cultures'
attitude toward the white man.

Alfred