Tywappity Bottoms

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Mar 14 16:43:06 UTC 2004

> > I am curious about this one.  Is there any yellowish ground around it?
> > Zee-Owapi-Ekta, any Siouan languages have this habit of short cutting,
> > oops, maybe I should use linguistic terminology...but anyway, it looks
> > like ziwapita, there at that place where the yellow paint can be found.
>
> Good suggestion, Violet. I noticed Sioux zi- 'yellow' but didn't think
> about ocher. I don't have a clue whether there's any in that area. Does
> anyone know if there's a Dhegiha 'yellow' word that fits? Or where
> central Mississippi valley ocher came from?

The same ZI is 'yellow' in every Mississippi Valley Siouan language except
Ioway-Otoe-Missouria where it's DHI.  Ocher isn't something I know much about,
at least right now.  Sometimes CV color terms have the -hV augment, where the V
is a copy of the first V in the word, but the root is without the augment.

tto      ttoho 'grue'
zi        zihi 'yellow'
saN    saNhaN 'off-white'