term for whiteman, evil, etc.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Mar 14 20:29:48 UTC 2004

The Dakotan verb $i'ca 'bad' has the following cognates in the other languages:

Hidatsa  i$ihe  'spoil sthg, caus.'
Lakota     $i'ca 'bad'
Chiwere   sik ~ $ik  'incredible' (interject.)
Otoe    irosi'ge  'ashamed'
Winneb.  $iik$i'k  'bad, spoiled of food'
Dheg.      $i:ke  'bad, evil, injury'
Ofo          ci:fhahi  'dangerous'
Tutelo    isi: ~ $ik  'evil' (in word for 'devil')

The X grade of fricative symbolism is found in:

Mandan   xik-  'bad'
Biloxi       xiya'  'bad, cunning'

I've used $ for S-hacek and c for C-hacek here.  : is V length and ' is accent.

So semantically it looks as if the reconstructible meaning is close to the
current meaning in the various languages.  'Bad' and 'spoiled' are the main
features that are repeated.  I'm still not taking a position on the Dakotan term
for Whites though.