Terms for "white man"

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Tue Mar 16 18:57:25 UTC 2004

>John: Historically s^ahi'yela 'Cheyenne' seems to be 'little Cree', i.e.,
s^ahi'ya (not current in Santee or Teton as far as I know) referred to
the Cree.  I suppose one would have to call the longer form unanalyzable
in terms of modern Dakotan.<<

These terms' meaning seem to be a bit vague, as Buechel only gives

_S^ahi'yela_

(without question mark!), as "The Cheyenne Indians", whereas

_S^ahi'ya_

somewhat fuzzy as "a tribe of western Indians".

He also has the term "Rabbit Men" mastincala wicasa [Mas^tiN'c^ala
Wic^ha's^a] as maybe referring to the Cree ("The Cree Indians ???")

Alfred