Terms for "white man"

Patricia Albers alber033 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 17 18:47:46 UTC 2004

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, the Dakotas at Spirit Lake used
S'ahiya  for Plains Cree and Plains Ojibwe.  Sagada was used for
people of French/Scotch and Cree, Ojibwe, and Assiniboin backgrounds
--otherwise known as Metis.  Generally, the people who were enrolled
at Turtle Mountain were called Sagada as opposed to Ojibwe at Red
Lake who were known as Hahatonwan.  Cree/Ojibwe in Saskatchewan at
Piapot Reserve were called S'ahiya.   Pat Albers