Terms for "white man"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 17 20:10:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Patricia Albers wrote:
> In the late 1960s and early 1970s, the Dakotas at Spirit Lake used
> S'ahiya  for Plains Cree and Plains Ojibwe.  Sagada was used for
> people of French/Scotch and Cree, Ojibwe, and Assiniboin backgrounds
> --otherwise known as Metis.  Generally, the people who were enrolled
> at Turtle Mountain were called Sagada as opposed to Ojibwe at Red
> Lake who were known as Hahatonwan.  Cree/Ojibwe in Saskatchewan at
> Piapot Reserve were called S'ahiya.   Pat Albers

The sagada term looks like a truncation of our old friend the 'British,
Canadian' term, cf. Teton s^aglas^a (via Algonquian languages from French
"[le]s Anglais").  I think I have the Teton fricative grades right, but
maybe not.  Of course, in this case truncation could amount to borrowing
the term from an Algonquian context in which the Algonquian
diminutive-pejorative (the final fricative) was missing.