Lakota letter from Leeds at the turn of the century

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 11:41:44 UTC 2004

Dear all
I did not get much response for this earlier, perhaps because I had sent it
with the heading Active & Stative verbs.  Has any one any suggestions.  I
hope to be able to send a facsimile of the actual letter in hand writing
later.

Bruce

Dear all
A friend of mine is writing a book on contacts between Scotland and the
American Indians. He located a letter from the Yorkshire Evening Post dated
2001 I think in which there is a facsimile of a letter from a Lakota  with
the Buffalo Bill Outfit to his father in America.   It is in the old copper
plate cursive type handwriting and I am not always clear on the actual
letters but seems to be like this, with his lines and spaces, with dubious
items in brackets.  He uses dots over s (and n) etc which I here mark with
^:

Ito ate le anpetu
kin wowape cicu
kte lo na (eya) mis^
taku na ota-aciciya
un^ kte s^ni tka
itoptelye la wocici
ya kin kte lo (letuya)
waon tka taku
s^ica wa ons^niyelo
lila tanyan waon
welo iho hecetu
we lo

I take this to be
Ito ate le anpetu kin wowapi cic'u kte lo na (eya) mis^ takuna ota aciciya
uN kte s^ni tka itoptelyela wociciyakin kte lo.  Letuya wauN tka taku s^ica
wauN s^ni yelo.  Lila taNyaN wauN welo.  Iho hecetu welo.
Does anyone have any comments.  I wish I could send it as a photocopy.  The
sentence that floors me is takuna ota aciciya uN kte s^ni tka, also the use
of itoptelyela which I suppose is an alternative to optoptelya meaning 'for
 a while'

Any ideas
Bruce